Sunday, January 20, 2013

Replacement Cost versus Cleaning

 Share 

"I don't need to spend all that money cleaning it, I will just buy a new one!"

Maybe. Maybe not.
I take my shirts to the laundry. It's cost me more, over the years, than just buying new shirts! Thing is, after I buy a new shirt and wear it once, I have to get it laundered, just like the old one. Fact is, cleaning is part of the cost of owning shirts. I could just keep wearing it, without getting it laundered and save money, but at a cost to me! It all depends on what I'm willing to endure. :) 

I could buy a new one rather than clean it, but I really like this shirt!
Carpet, upholstery, rugs, drapes and other home decorating items all need maintenance.
Cleaning is part of the cost of ownership, of anything.

Then there's that "liking it" idea.

The above applies to lower cost items we want to keep looking good. 
"It goes so nicely with my couch."

Higher cost goods, such as carpet, can actually cost less, per year, when cleaned. They, often, last longer and even with the cost of cleaning added in, the yearly cost, over the extended life of the carpet is....less.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment